Swimming Team Quotes
Coach Miller has compiled a number of quotes that he will post for the swimmers to think about at practice on occasion. These are used to lighten the mood, put into perspective what achieving our goals will require, and/or help athletes focus their attention to the goals of the practice. Listed below are some of the quotes he has used in his coaching career. If you'd like to contribute (or add your own) to this list, please contact Coach Miller at the email address provided.
Practice and Motivational Quotes:
1. "I can't. I'll try. Two phrases with a world of difference between them." - Warren
2. "Effort and courage are not enough without purpose and direction." - JFK
3. "We are judged by what we finish, not by what we start." - Anonymous
4. "Cooperation is spelled with two letters - WE." - George Veity
5. "How far have you come?" - Coach Miller
6. "Sports do not build character. They reveal it." - Heywood Hale Broun
7. "There is no secret to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, learning from failure." - General Colin L. Powell
8. "The eight laws of learning are explanation, demonstration, imitation, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition, repetition." - John Wooden
9. Today is a challenge to your abilities. How much can you do? A few Trojan swimmers have been able to complete today's practice in full. Will you add your name to the list?"
10. "It's not because things are difficult that we don't dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult." -Seneca
11. Joke… "Because of inflation, the cost of duck feathers had risen. These days, even down is up." - D. Guyer
12. "If you focus on the results, you will never change. If you focus on change, you will get results." - Jack Dixon
13. "As your coach, I don't make challenges for you to fail, moreover to see what you can reach for and accomplish." - D. Guyer
14. Baseball players in Japan use the expression "Wa." This is an expression meaning a player sublimates personality and personal goals to the success of the team. Westerners were introduced to this philosophy in Robert Whiting's book, "You Gotta Have Wa."
15. "If your body were a motorboat, your engine would be in your hip. Swimming is the rhythmic application of power."
16. Attitude: "Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character." - Albert Einstein
17. Swimming fast hurts. Train your mind.
18. It takes less effort and only three words to say "I feel good."
19. "No coach ever won a swim meet for what he knows! Wins only come from what swimmers learn."
20. "Installing an auto muffler is EXHAUSTING work"
21. Murphy's Law #8: "When trying to figure out when to leave on repeats & ALWAYS missing the interval, never rule out stupidity. We are not stupid thus we should be ok"
22. "You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Only consistent effort toward change disguises prior notions."
23. "Everyone's a winner when you are in control of you!"
24. Attitude: "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain." - Maya Angelou
25. Concentration: "Concentration is the ability to think about absolutely nothing when it is absolutely necessary." - Ray Knight
26. "Dreams and dedication are a powerful combination." - William Longfellow
27. "Don't count the days, make the days count."
28. Streamline: "Long boats are faster. Longer bodies are too."
29. Attitude: "Check your ego at the door."
30. Dedication: "Focus on where you want to go, not on what you fear." - Anthony Robbins
31. Attitude: "Athletic achievements are typically not based on ability, but rather mentality."
32. Work Ethic: If something is worth doing, it is worth doing right.
33. Work Ethic: "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." - Walter Bagehot
34. Dedication: "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
35. Team Concept: If we did all the things we were capable of, we would astound ourselves.
36. Character: "The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." - General H. Norman Schwarzkopf
37. Character: "If you don't want anyone to know, don't do it." - Chinese proverb
38. Dedication: "Progress begins with the belief that what is necessary is possible." - Norman Cousins
39. Dedication: "Everything looks impossible for people who never try anything." - Jean-Louis Etienne
40. Dedication: "The best way to make your dreams come true is to wake up." - M. Power
41. Attitude: "Discipline is remembering what you want." - David Campbell
42. Dedication: "Whoever wants to reach a distant goal must take many small steps." - Helmut Schalit
43. TEAM: "Team spirit is an intangible thing…it's the leaders job to teach, promote and build this attitude"
44. Confidence: "Faith in oneself, is the best and safest course." - Michelangelo
45. Attitude: "You play the way you practice." - Pop Warner
46. Dedication: "The man who can drive himsesf further once the effort gets painful is the man who will win." - Roger Bannister
47. TEAM: "The team comes first in all decisions. Don't let your teammates down."
48. TEAM: "Leaders are not afraid to take full responsibility for their actions."
49. Coach: "It's not my job to look good. It's my job to make other people look good." - Wes Unseld
50. TEAM: "Do not make excuses, whether it is your fault or not." - General George S. Patton
51. "I accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying." - Michael Jordan
52. Confidence: "No pressure, no diamonds." - Mary Case
53. Character: "Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body." - Seneca
54. Attitude: "Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." - Lou Holtz
55. Attitude: "When written in Chinese, the word 'crisis' is composed of two characters - one represents danger, and the other represents opportunity." - John F. Kennedy
56. TEAM: "Self motivation is essential for team success"
57. TEAM: "A team will grow in all directions in direct proportion to its courage."
58. TEAM: "Practice good to play good." - Joe Paterno
59. Tough Practice: "Tonight is a challenge to your ability. How much can you do? How many of you can motivate yourselves to achieve this goal." - D. Miller
60. "Everyone's a winner when you are in control of you." - D. Guyer
61. "Ask the question: Is swimming an ordeal or an adventure for you? Why?"
62. "Don't count the days, make the days count."
63. "Make every practice opportunity count."
64. "Ask yourself this question and then answer it. What am I doing at practice to insure the success of my team?"
65. Reflect: "There is little difference in people, but that little difference is a big, big difference. The little difference is your attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative."
66. Thought: "If everyone else got a flu shot, you don't need one"
67. "You've got to beat them from the ears up…that's where you win swimming races."
68. "Don't go where the path leads, rather, go where there is no path and leave a trail."
69. Challenge: "Do not break between sets, go straight through. The harder you work, the luckier you get."
70. No life ever grows great until it is focused, dedicated, and self-disciplined.
71. The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do.
72. Champions rise to the occasion! If it is to be, it is up to me! Believe.
No categories found
There are no files available for any categories.